Writing is a healing activity. If you read much literature on how to cure insomnia or anxiety, there is almost always a mention or chapter about the benefits of keeping a journal.
Here are ten ways keeping a journal can help you sleep better at night.
1. You can write your worries down on paper (so your mind is relieved of them at bedtime).
2. You can write down empowering affirmations for yourself right at bedtime.
3. You can write down a question in your journal at bed time and drift off to sleep with the knowledge that an answer will surface (all because you asked)…
4. You may want to use your journal as a sleep diary and record habits that may be affecting your sleep (such as what you ate, activity during the day, how your work day went, emotional events, etc.)
5. You may use your journal to write down your achievements and see all the wonderful things you do!
6. You may use your journal to help reveal your life’s work or the direction you want to go in your life. A life with purpose is a less anxious one and you will sleep better.
7. You may record dreams that you remember or have your journal handy the next time you wake up and write down what you remember.
8. You may draw and doodle until you get sleepy.
9. You may write to God. We’ve written about having a prayer journal. It is very powerful.
10. You may end your day by writing a gratitude entry in your journal. What a great way to fall asleep, thinking of all the ways you are blessed.