Here is a list of things we can eat or drink to calm our nerves and get us in a relaxed, sleepy state:
- Berries: It is June and it is berry season! Any berry is good. The carbohydrates turn to sugar slowly so you won’t have a blood sugar crash. The vitamin C in berries helps fight the stress hormone cortisol.
- Oranges: Another good source of vitamin C which returns blood pressure and cortisol levels to healthier levels.
- Avocados: Vitamin B is an essential nutrient for nerves and brain cells. Stress depletes our bodies of Vitamin B. Avocados are filled with B vitamins. Guacamole has a nice creamy texture that makes for a good comfort food.
- Nuts: Another good source of Vitamin B and Zinc. Almonds also have Vitamin E which will help fight cellular damage that comes from chronic stress.
- Oats: Like berries, oats are carbohydrates which are absorbed slowly. This enhances the serotonin-producing abilities of the brain. Serotonin helps to relieve our bodies of stress. Other slow burning carbohydrates to try: barley, rice, and beans.
- Salmon: Has omega-3 fatty acids which help keep cortisol and adrenaline levels in check (not to mention are also very good for our hearts and skin).
- Skim Milk: The calcium and magnesium in milk helps calm us and relieves PMS symptoms.
- Chamomile Tea: an herb that calms and soothes
- Turkey: has tryptophan, an amino acid, which makes us sleepy
- Peanut Butter
- Bananas: magnesium and potassium relaxes us
- whole-grain, low sugar cereal or granola with low-fat milk or yogurt
- Broccoli, kale, and any green vegetables- has calcium and vitamin B
- Eggs: rich in Vitamin Bs
- Sesame seeds: calcium
- Kelp and seaweed: calcium source
Avoid: alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine too close to bed time.