What does the word “cozy” mean, anyway?
According to the dictionary at AudioEnglish.net, cozy as a noun means: ” a padded cloth covering to keep a teapot warm”.
We are not teapots, but we humans do need warmth and comfort, especially at bedtime.
As a verb, cozy can mean: “enjoying or affording comforting warmth and shelter especially in a small place” and “having or fostering a warm or friendly and informal atmosphere”. There is also a meaning of connivance such as “cozying up to somebody…”
I think for our Warm Milk Journal purposes the comforting warmth and shelter in a small place suits the bill just perfectly.
Hopefully we are doing all we can to make the rooms we sleep in feel warm and comforting. We just painted our bedroom last weekend and what a difference! It is this wonderful kind of beige and honey color. I feel so cozy in this room now.
Here are some ideas to get in a cozy state: physically, mentally, and spiritually:
Physical State of Coziness
- How does your bedroom feel when you are in it? Are the colors soothing? Calming? Warm? Cozy?
- Does the decor please your senses? Not too cluttered? Some flowers or plants? Take a look at your art work, your furniture, other little things you may have in this room: books, photos, candles, nicknacks etc. Everything in this room should really please you and make you feel like you are in a wonderful cocoon. This is your nest! This may very well be the most important room in your whole house or apartment for your health, well being, and happiness.
- Is your bed comfortable? How are your linens? Do you choose soft and warm sheets and blankets during the cooler months and cool crisp lighter linens in the summer? What we sleep in makes a huge difference in the quality of our sleep.
- Are you feeling pampered and cozy in what you are wearing to bed? Nice robes, lounge wear, pajamas- anything that makes you feel special, pampered, comfortable are in order here. This is a fun way to splurge a bit once in a while and get some nice things to wear to bed. Sleepwear will of course vary depending on what climate you live in and what time of year it is.
- Candles and soft lighting cozy up the ambience of a bedroom.
- I personally find not having a tv in my bedroom nice, but some of you may very well associate watching tv in bed a cozy thing. When I had a tv in our room I found it a bit cold to have that electronic appliance staring at me. Now in its place we have this beautiful gold and silver plate mirror which reflects the beautiful ocean painting we have over our headboard. Calm and cozy (and at times quite romantic).
- Aromatherapy: our sense of smell is a very powerful thing and can be quite mood altering. This is a fun thing to experiment with.
- Socks on your feet? I am one of those “cold” people-and always seem to want socks on my feet. But seriously, as I have been doing research for the Warm Milk Journal that does seem to come up frequently. Wearing socks helps us sleep better. And let’s face it, what is much cozier than a real nice soft pair of socks or booties to wear?
- Air Temperature: You want to get this one right. You want it warm enough to feel warm and comfortable of course, but not too hot. Sleep experts say keeping our rooms slightly cool at night will help us sleep better.
- Is there music that you can play as you are unwinding and preparing for sleep?
- Warm beverages such as warm milk and tea are quite cozy and comforting!
- Soups, miso broth, and light snacks may be just what you need to nourish your body into a cozy state.
Mental State of Coziness
Here are some things I associate with having a cozy state of mind:
- Feeling at peace with self, others, and the world
- Knowing you did your best today
- Feeling loved and loving
- Knowing you have taken care of your body by eating well and exercising and now it is time to rest
- Feeling happy!
- Having a sense of purpose and looking forward to the next day
- If something is challenging you- taking comfort in the big picture and knowing that it will all work out. It will pass. You are safe.
- Thinking of happy memories
- Feeling gratitude
- Picturing yourself as a beautiful adorable little child and knowing how loved you were and still are. Imagine giving your four year old self a big hug right now…
Spiritual State of Coziness
- Know that God loves you
- Feel the love and oneness of the universe and everything in it including wonderful you.
- Write in our journal
- Be still
- Be silent
- Be in the Now
- Do some yoga and gentle stretches
- Read something spiritual
- Think of ways to help, give, and love others
- Accept and love yourself
- As you drift off to sleep tonight, imagine the world that God would want for us..it is ours already.
Enjoy your cozy little nest.
Debra : )