In a blink of an eye,
In a heartbeat,
Within a pregnant pause…
Silence can happen,
Action can happen,
Change can happen too.
Movement and stillness
can blend together
Within those pauses we can choose
and the transformation that is possible
True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment. ~William Penn
Making time and space for silence in our daily lives is essential.
What does silence do for us?
Here are a few benefits of silence:
1. It calms our mind and nervous system
2. It helps us to slow down
3. It helps us to become more aware of our surroundings and what is going on inside of us.
4. It puts us in the NOW.
5. It connects us to our higher power
6. It recharges us
7. If we are stuck, in a rut, or need clarification about something, a bit of silence may be all we need to to have what we need surface when we need it.
8. It centers us. As a result of being emotionally balanced we will make better decisions, feel less stress, and react less emotionally to life’s circumstances.
Yes, silence is essential. How do we make time and space for it in our busy daily lives?
Here are a few ideas:
1. Take walks (without your music). Walk in the morning, during your lunch hour, or in the evening.
2. Limit television in your household
3. Sit outside when you can
4. Have a designated quiet room or space for meditation in your house. Train family members to not disturb you when you are in this space.
5. Take a hot bath. Light a candle.
6. Ear plugs can be a blessing!
7. Close your office/bedroom door
8. Unplug. Turn your cell phone off.
9. Drive with your radio off.
10. Visit a park.
What will you do with this time and space for silence?
2. Be still
4. Write in your journal
7. Take in the fresh air (if outdoors)
8. Feel how blessed you are
14. Just BE
We need silence for our health. We need silence to connect with the Divine. We need to find that silent space that is within us. For if we do, we will find peace. With peace, we can enjoy our lives and sleep restfully at night (the two goals of The Warm Milk Journal).
I have been doing much research about insomnia over the past several months. Getting still and silent is the probably the most effective strategy if we want to live fulfilling lives and sleep well at night.
Here are just a couple of examples:
The message? Take care of yourself by giving yourself much needed quiet time each day- especially at bedtime. Turn off the noisy distractions of the day. Release them and find your silent space.
Here at The Warm Milk Journal I will continue to offer ideas for meditation, prayers, verses, poetry, and writing journal prompts.
For now, I will end this post with this Mother Teresa quote:
“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. See how nature-trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence…We need silence in order to touch souls”.
Debra : )
Sources: Woman’s World August 9, 2010 and www.thinkexist.com for Mother Teresa quote.