During times in my life when I have struggled with insomnia it is usually because I was afraid of something. I would be feeling fears about my health, my finances, my kids, my job, the world’s affairs, what others thought of me, etc.
I feel like I don’t lose sleep that much anymore because of these fears. I may still think about them but I don’t get “stuck” with them like I used to (especially at bedtime).
Here are a few things that have helped me shrink my fears:
1. Read things at bedtime that inspire me and feed me spiritually.
2. Turn off the day (I rarely bring work home anymore for instance)
3. Limit my media exposure. I still like to know what is going on in the world but I don’t consume it like I used to. There are actually mornings when I don’t read the newspaper (at one time in my life that would have been unheard of).
4. Exercise and practice yoga
5. Write in my journal (you will find many ideas here at The Warm Milk Journal).
6. Push my edge regularly. Doing something that is challenging really increases self confidence. Self confident people are less prone to losing sleep at night from fear.
7. Surrounding myself with loving and supportive people. Not feeling alone really helps us to feel more secure and less scared.
8. A hot bath at night is always a good thing to relax your body and mind before bed.
Goodnight relaxed and fearless one.
Debra ; )