There is a lot of advice given to help people sleep better. Some of it is good advice. We are all different and some advice given to help you with your insomnia will work. Sometimes, however, it works to do the opposite and “break the rules”. Let’s see…
- No naps. It makes sense to not take naps, stay awake all day, and then sleep only at night. I personally, love my afternoon naps and my siestas do not seem to affect my sleep at night. You do what works for you!
- No caffeine after 2:00pm. I am personally okay if I limit it to one cup of ice coffee, tea, or regular coffee in the afternoon. Don’t like to have much caffeine after, say, 6:00 pm. I am sure this will vary for each person depending on one’s body chemistry.
- No eating too close to bedtime. This rule makes pretty good sense. I can eat close to bedtime so long as it is not a heavy greasy thing (no roast or sausage lasagna right before bed). I sometimes like a simple snack such as a banana, cup of milk, or cookie right before bed, however.
- No TV in the bedroom. I do follow this one. We used to have a TV in our bedroom but we hardly used it. We replaced it with a beautiful mirror. I don’t really notice a difference on my sleeping either way. I like the mirror, however.
- Use bed for sleeping and sex only. I am afraid that I am a huge rule breaker on this one! This bedroom is my nest. I spend so much time in here. I read and write and work on The Warm Milk Journal right here on my bed. My boyfriend, John, even made me this beautiful wooden lap desk for my MacBook. He also built me special bookshelves for the wall on my side of the bedroom. I don’t have an office here at home so my “nest” is it. Does it effect my sleeping? Nope.
We are all different and do what works for you. Follow the rules or break the rules. The important thing is that you are getting the rest you need at night.
Debra : )