You have an active full life. You have many things to do, people whom you are responsible to, duties as a spouse, parent, employee, and business owner…
You have dreams and aspirations. You are ambitious and working hard to create the life of your dreams…
CONGRATULATIONS! You have an incredibly rich and full life!
Does this rich and full life leave you feeling overwhelmed at times?
Do you ever feel like you can’t possibly get it all done?
Do you feel pressure? (from others, society, and especially from yourself)?
I am going to ask something of you right now: TURN IT OFF
Yes, turn the shoulds, and must dos, and everything on you never ending list and inbox on off.
Unplug for a few minutes, please…..
now…. soften or darken the room a bit if this is night time for you. Light a few candles. Even if it is daylight, just close your eyes for a minute and breathe. If the weather is nice sit outside. Be still.
Keep focusing on your breathing.
Don’t think about anything. If your mind wants to start thinking about something, stare into the candle flame or close your eyes and imagine fluffy white clouds in the sky gently floating by. Those are your thoughts. They come. They go. Let them sail on by. That’s right… goodbye thoughts.
When you have been still for a while you may open your eyes.
I will close this post with a few parting ideas:
1. You are magnificent. If you were not, you would not have such a rich life.
2. Life will not stop happening if you don’t get everything done today. Lighten up a bit. Yes, you are doing and creating important things for yourself and the fortunate people around you… it’s all about the pacing though… you won’t be much good to anybody (especially to yourself) if you are exhausted and burned out. Let up a bit. Be at your ease…. things will happen and be accomplished at your ease.. (the alternative is at your dis-ease and you or nobody around you needs or wants that!).
3. The universe abhors a vacuum. If you let up a bit you will create space for great things to come to you.
4. Give your body and mind and spirit a chance to recharge and renew: take that walk, take that bath, turn the computer off, the work you brought home from the office? Bless it and go about your business of life.
I truly believe that whatever our jobs are: whether we are business owners, teachers, corporate employees, homemakers and stay at home parents…. we will do our jobs better if we permit ourselves to HAVE A LIFE. yes, that is right: have a life!
I encourage you to not fall into that trap of feeling like you have to work all the time. That kind of workaholism ethic will only deplete and drain you.
- the candle
- the music that wants you to turn it on
-the bath that beckons
-the spouse or lover that awaits you with tender arms
-that juicy novel that has been sitting patiently near your bedside while you are checking your emails…
In other words, your LIFE is waiting for you.