Do you like to collect things?
I’m not talking about the “packrat”, clutter, don’t throw anything away type of collecting…
But rather creating a group of special things. Treasures…
I can remember being a young child growing up on the island of Oahu and having the most wonderful seashell collection that I found myself snorkeling at various favorite beaches. There was such a great variety in these shells. I would on a regular basis dump my collection out on our coffee table in the living room and go about sorting and classifying all of the beautiful varieties of shells I had.
I also had a sticker collection, stamp collection, marble collection, doll collection, barbie doll collection, stuffed animal collection, t-shirt collection, 45 record collection, cassette tape collection, book collection, a grand jewelery collection made up of puka shells, jade, turquois, and pearls…
Although they weren’t my own I so enjoyed my little brother’s Lego, tinker toy, erector set, Sizzler cars, model airplanes, and toy parachute collections.
As an adult I continued with my collection passion: recipes, photos, journals, books, candles, plants, etc.
What is it about the cultivating and caring for collections of things that brings about so much pure joy?
I believe I know the answer.
When we are collecting something we love, our little “treasures”, we are focused on something positive that gives us delight and pleasure. We are in the NOW when we are with our collections. Our minds are calm and in the flow. We are creators. We are curators of beautiful, wondrous things…
I think that is why sites such as Pinterest are becoming popular. We love to focus on things we love. I remember about ten years ago when my kids were small how popular scrap booking was.
There is a lesson here:
Focus on what we love, what gives us pleasure. That’s it. Simple.
The more we can follow this simple advice the happier and more joy-filled our lives will be.
What can you do now in you busy adult life to focus on and “collect” the treasures that have meaning for you?
Just a few ideas to get you started (for I have no doubt you will come up with your own)…
1. Writing favorite “lists” is a terrific journal writing activity that will make us feel pretty happy very fast. Think: Favorite places, favorite movies, favorite places to kiss, favorite places to have a wedding, you name it. We love lists and there is a reason for that: lists of things we love makes us happy! Simple, right?
2. Open an account at Pinterest and start creating boards of your favorite things. It is simply irresistble. You will love it once you get started.
3. Organize your photos online or in traditional photo albums.
4. Scrapbooks can be great fun.
5. Art. Whatever you can afford, begin an art collection of pieces that move you.
6. Gardening. Grow and care for a collection of plants! Herb gardens, window box gardens, container gardens, vegetable gardens, wildflower gardens, “night time” gardens full of blooms that open and are fragrant at night, rose gardens, spring bulb gardens, etc… growing different kinds of gardens are a great way of growing beautiful collections that are alive and part of nature. This type of “collecting” will feed the soul and spirit for sure. No wonder gardening is so popular.
I will stop here for I am sure you have plenty ideas of your own. Feel free to comment here and add to the post your ideas.
Designed by Colleen M. Messer.