Adults and children alike: we all have the need to play! From time to time I have to remember to close my computer up, give my brain a break- and just play!
Tonight’s journal exercise: what are ways that we as adults can play more?
Here is my list of ideas:
1. Be silly when I am teaching my second graders
2. Visit a new park or beach to explore
3. Dance (with my husband or by myself)
4. Try new exercise classes (I especially want to try out some different yoga classes)
5. Read a novel for pure pleasure (something I rarely give myself permission to do)
6. Watch a good chick flick with my teenaged daughter and laugh, really belly laugh.
7. Play with my cat, mew
8. Try new recipes and have fun adventures in my kitchen
9. plant new things in my garden
10. Visit new cities
11. Jump on the mini-trampoline
12. Watch and play Jeopardy on TV
13. Play scrabble or other board games with my family
14. Create: write poetry, draw, cook, paint, decorate a room, etc.
15. Ride my bike to the beach.
Your turn, oh playful one….
What we focus on grows. If we put more energy and effort on the things that get us excited, we will:
never be bored
be much less anxious, irritable, and depressed,
and we should sleep pretty well if we keep our days full with meaningful activities.
In your journal, think and write about what really excites you. What puts a spring in your step? What makes you look forward to getting up in the morning?
Life is too short to sleep walk and feel stuck doing things we feel compelled to do out of a sense of duty or a paycheck; for it is OUR LIVES after all…!
On this morning, my journal entry may look like this…
What really excites me!
1. The fact that every day truly is a new day with infinite new possibilities…
2. New people I am meeting everyday
3. I am in a very creative time in my life. I am full of exciting ideas that keep my mind happily focused on wonderful things.
4. My new life with my husband (we have been married less than a month!)
5. The young lady that my daughter is becoming.
I will stop here because it is now your turn!
Have fun : )
Any activity we do that nurtures our creative side is very good for us. It empowers us, lifts our spirits, connects us with our higher power, keeps us mentally active in a positive way, and gets us in “the flow”.
Any kind of writing including journal writing and blogging will get our creative juices flowing. It is very satisfying to get our thoughts on paper (or the computer screen). I think it is truly good for the soul. Anything good for the soul is good for our sleep!
So I recommend writing. Write on!
Debra : )