The prayer of St. Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
A peaceful state of mind will lead to less anxiety and restful sleep most nights.
How do we on a consistent basis be in that peaceful state of mind?
I suggest we keep the following in mind:
1. The past is the past. It does not have any power over us unless we allow it to.
2. The future is not yet here. Why sacrifice today by fretting about something that may or (more than likely) may not happen?
3. Find your allies! Surround yourself with positive, supportive people who love and care about you.
4. Have faith in yourself,
5. Have faith in others,
6. Have faith in life,
7. have faith in God.
8. Circumstances and other people can not hurt you if you don’t let them.
9. At the end of the day, say, “I did my best”. Breathe. It is done.
10. In the end, what is truly important? So much of what we permit worry us or upset us if just fluff. Let it go!
Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it by the handle of anxiety, or by the handle of faith. ~ Author Unknown
For a treat, listen to
Time To Say Goodbye Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman.flv
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
May the sun shine for you,
when people or circumstances tempt you to question yourself,
may you look beyond them and not take anything personally today.
It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else’s eyes. ~ Sally Field
When you are tired from the day,
when you feel daily life is getting in the way
of your dreams…
When you want to say “enough is enough”!
or,” I don’t want to play today…”
Today comes anyway, so what is one to do?
I say, say “hey!” to the day,
I’m gonna get out of my own way,
and do what I am meant to do! Umh-huh
“What is that?”, you ask (as if you are absolutely clueless)..
but deep down in there, where the real you resides…
is a knowing.
And you know what to do with this day and the next,
you just have to do it,
forget about the rest (as in the excuses and the “someday” dreams of the mind that wishes and yearns but does not act)…
You are thinking about this, and I know you are…
If not now, when?
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~ Ambrose Redmoon
I invite you to think about your significant other… focus on how blessed you are that they are in your life.
Then just write what you appreciate about them.
What we appreciate, appreciates!
What we focus on grows!
Who does not want more love in their lives, right? What is more important when it comes right down to it, hmmm…?
Okay, so my journal entry may look like this. I will begin, then you do your own. Deal?
What I love about my husband is:
1. his optimism
2. his kindness
3. his rugged good looks
4. his smile
5. his flexibility
6. his ability to put up with silly me!
I will continue in my private journal so that you may begin your own entry…
*note: if you are not married or in a relationship right now, you can write about the qualities that you appreciate about your ideal partner (in present tense with feeling as if they are in your life now).
Love has no desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving. ~ Kahlil Gibran
I find that during times when my mind is stuck in a worrying pattern, it just may be I have too much time on my hands. There is nothing like getting busy and working at a task (getting in “the flow”) that makes the worrying monkey mind go away.
Here are some ways to get busy and say good bye to worry:
1. Hit the gym and have a good work out!
2. Try a new fitness class at the gym.
3. Do something creative: write, paint, draw, sculpt, dance…
4. Do some volunteer work
5. Set a few goals that are important to you and take action on them.
6. Get lost in a really good book.
7. Join a new club: Toastmasters, a local French club, Book club, etc.
8. Organize something: your closets, your bookshelves, that junk drawer you have in the kitchen, your files, email inbox, or photos on your computer
9. Write thank you letters to anyone who has made a difference in your life.
10. When all else fails, call mom or cuddle with your cat.
Here is this night’s list of all time relaxing activities:
1. Savoring a glass of wine in the early evening
2. Listening to jazz on Pandora while enjoying glass of wine (see above)
3. Reading beautiful poetry and spiritually inspirational books (Rumi, Marianne Williamson come to mind).
4. A hot lavender bath
5. Playing Yahtzee or Scrabble with my husband or daughter
6. Cooking (while drinking wine and listening to Jazz on Pandora).
7. Walks on the beach
8. Spending time in nature
9. Afternoon bike rides
10. Morning cup of coffee and writing in my journal
11. Blogging in the early evening.
12. That afternoon cup of tea and watching the wildlife in my back patio.
13. Cuddling with the most special person in the world…
1. The squirrels in your back patio knocked over the bird bath off it’s pedestal again.
2. The sun is shining,
3. the almost full moon too…
4. You think of all the good people in your life,
5. and you focus on all the good you have coming your way such as: a new career, a tax refund check, a vacation, a date with your spouse this coming weekend…
Cheers! (and smiles)..
you have arrived.
A blustery day (so far)…
I need to find a way
to turn you into something worthwhile.
Perhaps I will remember to:
be thankful for the little things,
and disassociate from people and experiences that
do not serve my happiness and well being.
Yeah, Monday morning…
As you turn to afternoon,
may you mellow a bit and treat me kindly
as I soon embark upon your trail this A.M.
In concert with you, Dear day,
I will find a way to
an armor to deflect the stress…
and eventually rest so that I may welcome in
Tuesday with promise.