There is nothing wimpy about commitment. If you are making a commitment to something, you care deeply about it.
This evening I offer you a simple but powerful journal writing prompt.
In your journal, write the question: “What am I committed to?” Or, if you prefer to make a declaration: simply, declare: “I Am committed to…” then begin to write. Just see what comes out.
I like this exercise because it quickly galvanizes my brain to focus on the stuff that is very important to me. In a world of limitless distractions (see prior post), I appreciate getting clear from time to time on what really matters to me.
Ready to get started? As I often do, I will start my entry and then it will be your turn!
I Am committed to:
1. My marriage: keeping our love alive, being supportive, remaining best friends…
2. My kids: encouraging them to make good choices, loving them…
3. My students: being positive, providing meaningful instruction (in academics and in life)…
4. My health: working out, eating good foods, drinking more water, spending time outside, getting “quality me time”…
5. My faith: knowing God loves me and that life works with me.
6. My community: being a good neighbor, a friendly person, and in service as a public school teacher (I work right where I live).
7. My character: working on improving myself always. We are never too old to learn new things!
8. The Warm Milk Journal: Continuing to grow and improve this site so that it remains valuable and a source of support for everyone who wants to live a well balanced life by day and sleep restfully at night.
9. Creating wealth: being a an excellent steward of money, creating an income that will afford my family the life I want for us (which includes a lot of travel and giving back to the community).
If it’s not on this list, I’m not going to sweat it or lose sleep about it. It is gone.
Your turn, friends.