A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be. ~Douglas Pagels
The topic of friendship has come up a lot in my life lately. I have a fourteen year old daughter and her world is full of laughing with her girlfriends at all hours when they come to our house for a sleep over…
I consider my husband my best friend…
I have my “old” friends from my youth, college days, and young mommyhood days that I am still in touch with thanks to Facebook…
In this chapter of my life (I’m a 45 year old schoolteacher/blogger raising two teenagers, a husband, and two cats. Ha!)
Where and how do I fit friends into my busy life now?
Most of us don’t need a psychiatric therapist as much as a friend to be silly with. ~Robert Brault
Here is my journal writing invitation to you this evening (or morning depending on where you live)
On the the top of your journal entry, simply write “Friendship”…. then write down anything that comes to mind.
I find I do well if I just write quickly what comes to mind without editing or critiquing what I am writing…
Just play with the idea and see what happens.
The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium. ~Norbet Platt
The powerful thing about journal writing is that if we get ourselves in a relaxed state long enough, our true selves emerge. That touch of divine and intuition and wisdom comes out.
Let’s try it and see what happens, shall we?
Let’s see. I will begin!
1. I will always cherish those friends I made when I was a child and teenager. Those were the carefree days when I had time to invest and nurture these friends. Plus, these people knew me when I was just coming of age. How special is that?
2. I value the friendship I have with my husband. He is my best friend. He challenges me. He loves and supports me. He ultimately brings out the best in me.
3. I don’t spend time with friends that much these days for I am very busy working and when I’m not working I have my family..Hmmm….
5. What can I do to nurture my friends?
6. What friendships are worth investing time and energy in now during this busy chapter in my life?
This is a just a start, but I will finish in my private journal, so that you, dear friend, can begin you entry on…