There is nothing worse than going to bed angry at your spouse or significant other. You will not sleep well. You will wake up feeling terrible and if it is a work day, drag yourself to work physically exhausted and emotionally spent.
We all will get angry at each other from time to time. What are some ways to make sure we are in harmony and in a state of love and peace by the time it is time to turn off the lights and hit the pillow?
1. Don’t take things your partner said personally.
2. Be a good listener. Don’t interrupt.
3. use “I” statements
4. Take responsibility for your life and don’t fall into the habit of blaming your partner for things.
5. Be on the same side of a challenging issue. It is you and your partner vs. the issue as opposed to the two of you fighting about the issue.
6. On a daily basis, laugh together.
7. Focus on what you appreciate about him or her. Why did you fall in love with this person in the first place?
8. No matter how heated things may get from time to time, agree to never threaten the relationship itself.
9. To err is human. Cut your partner and most of all, yourself, a lot of slack. Forgive. Let go. Start over.
10. Choose love over everything else.