To be vigilant: ” alertly watchful especially to avoid danger” (Merriam-Webster)
Even when I am at my happiest and most centered- I am always aware that the monkey mind and anxiety monster are not ever too far away… ready to tickle and tease and taunt me with their utter nonsense!
I must be ever so vigilant to keep these foes at bay.
For general prevention of anxiety and maintenance of an anxiety free state I:
1. Exercise daily
2. Connect with others
3. Spend time outdoors
4. Have some daily down time: on my computer, journal, a good book, a hot bath, a nice glass of wine, good movie with family, etc.
5. Spend time doing tasks that are meaningful to me (such as my writing).
6. Helping others (getting my head out of thinking of myself)
If I do feel an anxiety attack coming on (it does happen), here’s what I do to extinguish it before it catches fire and gets me…
2. Talk it aloud with my husband while he just listens and holds me ( I feel affirmed and loved and safe and the anxiety usually dissipates).
3. A brisk walk outside does wonders
4. Jump on my mini-rebounder trampoline to music
5. Stretch and do some yoga
6. pet my cat
7. call my mom
9. Write down my fears in my journal
10. Put a few drops of Newton homeopathic drops under my tongue. There are two I like: “Blues & Mood Support” and “Stage Fright – Fear” (www.NetwonLabs.net)
I only use these drops if I feel a strong upset or panic attack coming on (thankfully it does not happen very frequently)
Life is too short to let anxiety, over thinking monkey minds, and the resulting insomnia and stress that accompanies them occupy our lives.
Be ever vigilant and you will live a well balanced and happy life and sleep well at night.