Many of us fall asleep initially just fine. It’s when we get woken up by snoring partners, bladders, pets, street noice, etc.- that we then have trouble falling back asleep. What to do about this middle of the night insomnia?
Here are a few meditational techniques:
1. Focus on one word such as : “peace:, “God”, “Love”, “Safe”. Breathe. Think the word repeatedly until you fall back asleep.
2. Think of something you were dreaming about and focus on that.
3. Repeat a simple nurturing affirmation such as ” I Am loved” or “I Am safe”. Breathe.
4. Plot a story in your mind: think of characters, setting, conflict, motive, etc. You will be back asleep shortly.
5. Tense muscles, then relax. Do one group of muscles at a time- from toes to head or head to toes. Breathe.
If you still can’t go back to sleep, get up for a little while. Read. Write. Eat a light snack. Gentle stretches.
DO NOT lament the fact that you are not sleeping. Redirect your mind. New focus. Back asleep soon.