Sometimes life just doesn’t happen the way we want it to: people aren’t acting the way we want, circumstances come about that mess up our expectations and plans. As a younger woman, I had a real hard time with this. I am learning now how important being flexible and going with the flow really are. In a recent post we explored the idea of how we react to circumstances is more important than the events or circumstances themselves. I really believe this. Once we get this, our lives are so much more peaceful and happy.
Ten Ideas to consider:
- If something unexpected occurs, try not to automatically get upset about it. It may not be what we were planning or expecting, but is it really so bad? Breathe….be calm. Is there another way to look at it?
- Another person’s choices or behavior is really out of our control. If we let their choices or behavior upset us in anyway we are giving them too much power over us.
- Stretch and enjoy the flexibility of your healthy and beautiful body. Know that your mind and spirit can be that flexible too!
- Lower expectations and you will be disappointed less often.
- Know that most people (like your boss, parents, spouse, friends) really are doing their best with what they have.
- Practice forgiveness, acceptance, and release. Forgiveness is such an important thing to learn how to do for your own health and well being.
- When struggling with disappointment, breathing and taking a walk are always excellent options.
- Think before you say anything to someone you are disappointed with or angry with. Words can and do hurt. Choose words carefully when in a negative state- or better yet, don’t talk at all for a while.
- Pet your cat or dog often. Animals are wonderful mentors in just being in the now and not letting too much stuff bother them.
- What we resist persists. Just try going with it, whatever “it” may be. Let someone else be in control or let things and people be what they are. Feel how that acceptance feels in your body. That is peace.
Debra : )