Like most of us, I can get myself very busy: doing my job as a teacher, taking care of home and family, working out, and working on various projects such as The Warm Milk Journal. I do a lot of reading and reflecting on what I want for my life. There is something to be said for having goals and setting a course for the direction we want our lives to take. But I think it is also important to enjoy the ride, so to speak. I have to remind myself of this from time to time when my ambitious energy is going full throttle and I feel myself burning out a bit.
For this morning, simple thoughts on simple things:
- We can slow down and do things at our ease. No need to rush so much all of the time
- The inbox will never remain empty for long so no need to put so much pressure on ourselves to get everything done all of the time.
- Take breaks frequently.
- It’s okay to take naps and be lazy: these are times when our bodies and minds recharge for future creative endeavors.
- When we feel stuck or feel some self pity coming on: take a walk or help someone else with something.
- Just be, and remember to breathe.
- Be good receivers: if someone pays us a compliment simply say “thank you”. Receive our good.
- Get out your journal and write down a list of some simple life pleasures that you would not want to live without. This is bound to make you feel pretty good and perhaps will inspire you to do more of them or have more of them in your life. What we focus on grows and what we appreciate appreciates.
If I were to make that list of life’s simple pleasures right now it would look something like this:
- That first cup of coffee in the morning.
- The half in half in the coffee (without it, it is just not the same!)
- My cat mew, looking sweetly at me and purring.
- Settling down into my comfortable bed at night when I have really put in a day and I’m really tired.
- Sitting out in my back patio and enjoying the fountain in the neighborhood’s pond, the sound of the crickets, and the little red cardinals that have been visiting our next door neighbor’s bird feeder.
- Yogaberry frozen yogurt
- Starbucks Cappuccino for my long commute home in the afternoon
- The Coffeehouse station (ch.51) on my XM radio. Great acoustic music!
- Bike rides in Old Atlantic Beach
- Walks on the beach
- Watching the moon rise on The Atlantic horizon. Awesome!
- Cuddling up on the couch next to my sweetie to watch a movie.
- Glass of red wine at night
- Cooking in the kitchen while listening to Jazz music in the early evening
- A storm outside while I am safe, warm, and cozy inside.
- Getting my hair done at my favorite salon (Frangipani of Jacksonville Beach) and the wonderful scalp massage my stylist gives me while shampooing my hair and the wonderful fresh smell of the Aveda products…good energy in this place.
- Taking a bath
I could really go on and on… The point here is that we have such rich lives and I think it is all of these little “simple” things that woven together make up the rich tapestry of our days. We don’t have to wait to make that mlilion dollars or find the perfect house or mate. or lose those ten pounds… We are rich already.
Have a splendidly simple day.
Debra : )